September is National Preparedness month so please join Jimmy Graham, CEO of Able Shepherd, as he introduces the weekly topics and offers up items for consideration (in Episode 1 of 4) focused on what you can do in and around your home to become better prepared. Episode 1 is based on protecting your home.
In Episode 1, Jimmy speaks about the importance of preparing your home for an unanticipated disaster.
- One way to do this is by having a generator in your home.
- The second thing you want to do is make sure your smoke detectors and your carbon monoxide detectors are operational. Replace those batteries every year. The carbon monoxide detectors often expire every 7 years, so remember to replace those.
- Drills – run a fire drill with your family. Practice emergency situations with your kids. Jimmy’s family practices crawling on the floor blindfolded, getting through the front door and then getting to a safe place (a pre-designated location for the family to meet at.)
- Reinforce your front door. Jimmy offers ways to reinforce your front door so it can’t be kicked in.
- A firearm and a thousand rounds.
Listen to this episode and learn what you can do to protect your home. Tune in next week for episode two!